Friday, October 28, 2011

Delicious Clam Chowder

Once or twice a year I make this Clam Chowder and it is always a hit! A couple of friends asked for my recipe so I figured I had better post it. Enjoy! I like to serve it in homemade bread bowls--for those, just use your favorite bread recipe and make individual size bowl loaves instead of the "normal" loaf.


Creamy Clam Chowder

1 large onion, finely chopped
2 medium white potatoes, diced
1 cup finely diced celery
2 (6 1/2 oz) cans chopped clams
1 bottle clams juice
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
3/4 cup butter
1 quart half and half
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
freshly cracked black pepper
1 bay leaf

*Drain juice from clams and pour all clam juice over veggies in a medium sauce pan. Add bay leaf. If needed, add enough water to barely cover the veggies and simmer while covered until barely tender.
*Meanwhile, in a soup pot, melt butter, add flour and whisk until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, Add cream, stir with wire whisk until smooth and thick.
*Add un-drained veggies, salt, clams, and vinegar. Heat. If chowder is too thick, add some milk. Add pepper (and additional salt if needed) until the seasoning is right.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete